I make no secret of the fact that the human world nowadays grates on me. I think human beings are becoming shallower, greedier and more selfish with every passing year.
If you haven’t already picked up on that vibe from my past blog posts then you obviously haven’t been reading them properly. What’s frustrating is I’m too young to say things like “back in my day…”, but I’m too old to find anything that the youth are into even remotely appealing.
Teenagers and young adults are so different to what I was. There’s this swagger and attitude about most of them that I just find vomit inducing. They have little or no respect for their elders and I find it absolutely disgusting. I have no idea how they’re being raised, but I can say with conviction that it’s the wrong way!
I make no apologies if you’re the parent of a teen or young adult. If they’re a decent kid then disregard what I’m saying. If they’re a little shit then maybe you should pay heed. After all, it’s mainly down to you how they turn out. You’re the one who instils values in them (or doesn’t).
Anyway, I’m not here to berate young people for how much they suck! Nor am I here to point the finger at the parents. I’m here to talk about why modern life is such hell. So much has changed since the millennium and I really don’t think it’s for the better. I’m going to run down five things that contribute to why the world this day and age does my head right in.
- Betting – “But Paul; people have been betting for hundreds, maybe thousands of years”. Yes, they have. It’s always been a pastime of many to have a little flutter on one event or another. There’s no real harm in it in moderation, but that’s my problem. It isn’t in moderation anymore. You can bet on anything at any time! Bet in play it’s called. On the surface it’s a good idea, but let’s get real. None of these betting companies want you to win money. They want you to pour into their burgeoning coffers your hard earned cash. They want you to bet junior’s pocket money in the vain hope you’ll get double, triple or whatever back. I know people who bet all the time on everything and I wonder to myself how they do it. Gambling is a dirty, sordid little world; most who do it do so sans the knowledge of their other half. Those of you who do it religiously are, I’m afraid to say, complete mugs! You claim it’s fun, but I fail to see how betting money on something could be construed as fun. If you’re that easy to please then maybe you should go to the park and try out the swings. It’ll be like the thrill of a lifetime to you if you think betting is fun!
- Duck pouting/gym selfies – I should perhaps have labelled this narcissism, but let’s face it; a lot of people nowadays wouldn’t have a clue what it means despite the fact they themselves are narcissists. Your duck pout photos are f**king stupid! You look a prat! What on earth happened to a nice smile? As for gym selfies, well I could quite happily shove a barbell up the arse of anybody who takes them and posts them on Facebook. What exactly are you trying to prove by being such a show-off? What member of the opposite or same sex are you trying to impress with it? If they’re a person of any substance they won’t be impressed at all. Selfies are something I despise. I hate taking them and I hate seeing them. Selfies taken by somebody who thinks they’re something special are the worst by a mile. Give it a rest!
- Derivative pop music – I listen to house music a lot and one of the core ingredients of house music is the producer’s ability to work in a decent sample a lot of the time. For the kind of house music I like you’ll often find it’s a sample of a funk, soul or disco record and it kind of pays the record some homage. More often than not the producer will have been influenced by the artist of the sampled record. It’s through house music that I’ve become a major fan of funk, soul and disco. I love it all and a large percentage of my playlist is packed with that kind of stuff. Suddenly pop music has jumped on the bandwagon. Producers of pop music don’t pay homage. They butcher! They destroy! They murder! The singers of the remade/sampled song lend their hand to the destruction too. If you think pop music nowadays is good then you need to take a look at yourself. It’s awful in every sense of the word. They all sound the same and take literally no talent to make. Stop listening to it. Stop encouraging these musical murderers to carry on destroying great music. That’s a damned order!
- Payday loans/credit – I’m not going to pick on people who take out these loans. They should be more sensible, but desperation makes a person do daft things and that’s why I despise these payday loan companies. They’re nothing but leeches. They know exactly what they’re doing. They kill with kindness. They use one hand to shake yours while the other silently slips a knife in your back and twists. I’ve known people who have to take a fresh loan out every month because they don’t have enough to clear the last one. In all fairness I’ve heard less horror stories in the last few years. People have either got wise or the payday loan companies have changed their game; I’m not sure which. Irrespective, loans and credit are very dangerous toys with which to play if you’re earning a low income. You drag yourself into a mire where you’re forever paying back debt and it never goes away. I was burned in my younger years and I’ve vowed never to take a loan or any form of credit again until I know I’m financially comfortable enough to do so. So probably never. I urge you to do the same. If you can’t afford it, save. If you desperately need something find an alternative to a bloodsucking loan company or credit card. You’re only screwing yourself if not.
- Social media as a means to air dirty laundry – I don’t care what people post on Facebook, Twitter or wherever else. It’s your profile; do as you wish. However, if you do post stuff that really has no place in the public domain then expect to be ridiculed or slated. Calling out friends or your other half is something you just don’t do, even cryptically. Some things should be kept between two people. If you’re sharing it amongst the masses then you’re attention seeking; that’s the long and short of it. Then there are the short, ambiguous statements such as ‘I don’t know what to do anymore’ or ‘so pissed off’. You might as well say ‘lavish me with attention’ instead. It’s really pathetic! Worse is when somebody asks what’s wrong and they respond with ‘DM me’. Why not just DM them in the f**king first place?! Those prepared to respond are the mugs in these situations. They’re playing a game with you and you allowed yourself to get sucked in. If you have something you want to say then say it. If you need a friend then send a text or a DM; same if you’re annoyed at somebody. If you can’t publicly disclose information about something then don’t give any information at all. Stop attention seeking!
So there are five things that get on my nerves about how the world operates nowadays. I could go on for another ten thousand words and still only be warming up, but I’ll leave this one where it is.
Some people believe the world is working better now than it ever has because of all these freedoms we have where networking is concerned, but I wholly disagree. I had plenty of friends before social media came along and I’d still have plenty of friends if it never had. While I’m grateful for the friends I have made via social media, I still believe it’s gone over the top. People conduct their lives on it. That isn’t healthy.
I’m going to close this one here. I haven’t checked Facebook for at least an hour…
What grates you about modern life? Do you think the world is better now than it’s ever been and I’m just a stick-in-the-mud? Please post your thoughts and questions below and let’s have a good chat about modern living.
Image header from By All Means Necessary
Image four from DJ Techno
Image five from Daily Mail article ‘Payday loan firms told to clean up their act or face closure: Companies given 12 weeks to sort practices’ by Sean Poulter
Image six from Bane Tech